Top game development tools are emerging as the best choice for game developers to develop games for mobile and PC with great ease. Earlier, game developers needed to write every single line of code each time they developed an Android or iOS video game. Today, thanks to the modern tools that emerged as the saviour for developers as they can now develop video games conveniently. Such game development tools will enable game developers to embark on a creative and energizing experience.
Due to a large number of benefits, the majority of game developers are opting for engines and tools to create class apart games like the web and mobile gaming apps. There are different types of useful tools for game development that is becoming trending in the industry, including unity, unreal, hero engine, Cocos 2D, etc. Intrigued to know the advantages and disadvantages of the leading game development tools? Fret not, in this blog, you will find a full-fledged list of game development tools that are being used by game developers:
Get Free Mobile Game Demo
We have a team of experts who can help you in app web & software development
Online game development tools have their own share of advantages and disadvantages that made them unique and exceptional. Here we have created a game development tools list that you must check out:
Unity is considered to be one of the best game development tools for android, iOS and Windows mobile platforms. The unity game development tool is meant for supporting both 2D sectors as well as 3D sector game development. Unity is designed for 2D and 3D game development. With high-end features, graphics and quick gameplay; this tool is highly preferred by developers for developing all sorts of games; from basic and 2D to complex, 3D and video games. With cross-platform compatibility, unity-based games can run on a wide range of screens and platforms.
Being the leading mobile game development company, BR Softech has a team of Android and iOS game developers who understand the requirements of the clients before developing feature-rich mobile apps. We use the unity game engine to develop end-to-end mobile game solutions.
- It is among the best indie game development tools that have a huge community of assets and plugin developers.
- Game developers can also expand Unity’s functionality with plug-ins. It offers game developers an editing environment that is superior to all others.
- It can easily convert a wide variety of asset formats to the most appropriate format for the target platform.
- The engine supports supreme-quality visual and audio effects that simplify the game development process.
- It also supports an elite range of operating systems and platforms, like mobile, desktop, and gaming consoles.
- This game development tool is available under a free license and has the best-in-class game development features. Even the paid licenses of Unity are also cost-effective for professional game developers. Unity offers three subscription plans for game development companies as follows.
- Plus: $399/per seat
- Pro: $1800/per seat
- Enterprise: $4,000/per 20 seat
Image source: store.unity.com
- There are a number of features in the Unity game development tool, which is good, but the documentation is outdated, making the tool difficult to use by video game developers.
- Unity is a C++-based game development tool, therefore mobile game developers need to have knowledge of the C++ programming language to begin using it. Hence this is not a preferable video game development tool for beginners.
- The developers are not able to get the complete source code of the Unity game development project, thus it is a difficult task for them to find, address and fix bugs in the source code.
- If any kind of bug arises then you will have to wait for a long time until this particular issue is addressed by the company itself.
- The games developed on the Unity game engine require plenty of storage space which leads to creating OOM errors.
Read Blog: Unity 3D Game Development : Everything You Need To Know
2. Unreal Game Engine Platform
This is one of the top game development tools, which supports languages like C++. The developer can easily create games with the help of Blueprints, a visual programming interface where you can develop games without writing traditional coding.
Unreal Engine is equipped with a range of powerful tools, making it one of the best Indie game development tools available in the market. Some of the most popular games built on Unreal Engine are Robo Recall, PUBG, Infinity Blade, and so on.
Advantages of Unreal Engine
- Unreal Engine has got a vast community to support you with all the problems you will come across while using this open-source game development tool.
- The game engine is known for developing high-tech triple-A games, thanks to its features and different types of high-quality graphics.
- As mentioned earlier, Unreal Engine has a great development support system named Blueprints. This system allows the developers to build the game without having any prior programming knowledge. Hence, Unreal Engine is the best video game development for beginners.
- The Unreal Engine has an open source code, which means you can expect the best level of security and convenient development workflow.
- Another selling point of the Unreal Engine is its ability to develop cross-platform games for operating systems such as Android and iOS.
Disadvantages Of The Unreal Game Development Engine
- For small game development projects, Unreal Engine is not a good choice and would not be suitable.
- It is generally a somewhat old-fashioned game development tool when compared to the other kinds of leading game development engines in the world.
- It has some complicated tools which become hard-to-learn-thing for beginners.
- The costing platform is also too high for many game developers. Once your gross annual revenue has reached $3,000, you are required to pay Unreal Engine 5% of that revenue.
>>>Also Read: Mobile Game App Development With Essential Features & Cost Analysis<<<
This is yet another class game development platform that has got a high reputation from the huge online gaming community and also from console gamers too. This particular gaming engine is action-packed with a wide variety of gaming features having the best-in-class interface and generating an impressive graphic output. In its claims, HeroEngine calls itself the first and only completely integrated online game development tool that integrates both the client and server sides of game design seamlessly directly into the development process.
Advantages of Game App Development With HeroEngine
- It has also got the best class of APIs which makes it a good game development engine having myriad features for game developers.
- It also includes open-world maps and also the best transition too which fits well as per your need.
- It also includes the best scripting feature for giving good shape to tough missions and also putting class resources into optimum use.
- It has Cloud Support with HeroCloud as per the client-server that is highly scalable and can be tightly integrated with your game development project.
Read Blog: Cost Of Game Development: What Factors Influence The Price
- The major drawback of this game development engine is that it has a high learning sector for any new game developer.
- This particular gaming development engine with the backup of the cloud is generally quite costly for game development startups.
- In this game development tool, even the scripting is not so powerful.
4. Cocos 2D Game Development Engine
Advantages of Game App Development With Cocos2D
- This is the best-in-class tool, which supports multiple mobile gaming platforms.
- This is available for free and open-source under the MIT license.
- Cocos2D also includes different kinds of extensions and tools.
- Includes realistic graphics and features that make the mobile game apps function streamlined and seamless.
- Quality-oriented online support community.
Disadvantages of Game Development With Cocos2D
- There is no dedicated support system for fixing any kind of bugs that arise and other different issues.
- It does not include a better coding structure and the APIs are also not outdated when compared to the 2D gaming engines.
CryEngine is one of the best game development tools for iPhone, mac Android that helps developers to achieve the highest quality game development experience. It is loved by the developers as it has the graphic output plus a wide array of quality gaming features including 3D HDR lens flares, physically based rendering, an advanced AI game development system and so much more. Just like the above-discussed top game development tools, CryEngine has also got some advantages and some disadvantages.
Advantages of Game App Development With CryEngine
- Getting started with the CryEngine is an easy process, as it has a less learning curve and offers the full source code, clear tutorials, and detailed documentation to guide developers through its features.
- CryEngine is equipped with quality-oriented audio transaction layers that allow you to choose the music that goes well with the game theme.
- If you are new to the game development field then there are various classes of handy tools available for you to develop game apps with impressive User Interfaces.
Disadvantages of Game Development With CryEngine:
- For this particular game development engine, there is not a much better class support facility if a free version of the engine is being considered.
- Moreover, this game development engine is a new one and does not have much support from the online support community for developers.
Read Blog: Global Game Development Software Market
In a nutshell, it can be said that the above-listed web, android and iOS game development tools have their own advantages as well as disadvantages for game developers around the globe. If you are looking forward to starting with game app development then the above-listed factors must be considered to make the right decisions as per your business specifications, objectives and requirements. No matter which game development engine you choose, it is important to note that you must hire dedicated developers for your game app development requirements and needs.
BR Softech is one of the leading destinations where you can find hundreds of game developers with expertise in a variety of game development tools. Share your game idea with us and let us serve you better to bring that idea into reality.
Quick Contact Us :
Call/WhatsApp : +1-650-727-6690, +91-998-220-1414
Skype : bdm.br
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 How Long Does It Take To Develop A Game Application?
It takes around two to three months to develop a game application from scratch.
Q.2 How Much Does It Cost To Develop A Unity Game App?
It costs around $30k to $35k for unity game development. However, this cost is not fixed and may shoot up depending on the type and complexity of your project.
Q.3 What Are The Best Game Development Tools For Android?
Some of the best game development project management tools are unity, unreal, Cocos2D, CryEngine, etc.