What are Hyper Casual Games?
Playing lightweight, instantly accessible games is characteristic of hyper-casual games. Which players often revisit due to their short session length and engaging gameplay mechanics. In hyper-casual games, players usually focus on one main mechanic, such as parking a car or dunking a basketball.
However, the games still pose a challenge and are universally appealing. Hyper-casual games offer players an easy way to play but a difficult time mastering them, encouraging them to play again.
It is a revival of arcade games from the ’70s and ’80s. However, this genre is known for snackable content that can be enjoyed in short spurts like waiting in line. Types of hyper-casual games have a greater chance of going viral and scaling quickly than other game genres.
Hyper Casual Game Market Size
Approximately 7.8 billion mobile games were downloaded in 2019, accounting for over 45% of all mobile game installs. The number of hyper-casual games downloaded increased to 11.8 billion by 2020. It has been estimated that hyper-casual games generate over $3 billion a year in dollars.
Demographic changes are a significant factor. Unlike in the past, players today don’t fit the young, male stereotype – over half of all mobile game players are women, and one-third are over 45.
With the changing demographic of gamers came changes in their behaviors patterns. Instead of sitting idly in front of a screen all day to play games, most mobile gamers today fit their gaming in a while doing other things or waiting for other things to begin.
In addition to their ease of picking up and playing, hyper-casual games lend themselves well to these short bursts of activity. As a result of their lightweight design, hyper-casual games are also easy to build and launch.
Hyper Casual Game Development
In spite of the simplicity of this game category, it does have some subtleties. This section will cover all the necessary hyper-casual games design basics. So that you can build the best user experience possible.
There are not many characters in hyper-casual games. They are often very different from fully developed characters that drive most games, even if they exist. Keep in mind that the focus here is instant playability. Therefore, consider including characters, but keep in mind that their role isn’t fundamental to the experience.
Hyper casual games have striking simplicity in hyper simple game design. Hence, You want to create a visual experience that is bold, beautiful, and minimal, from your color palette to the way you use space.
- Color palette: Keep the palette focused and calibrated to maximize impact. The user should immediately grasp what the game is about with a simple interface that isn’t flashy.
- Make sure the shapes the user sees on the screen reflect the elegance of hyper casual games. As bare as the game environment might be, it also needs to be beautiful.
- Using white space to your advantage is spatial dynamics. Don’t overload the area with unnecessary elements. Just make sure what’s essential has enough breathing room.
Rather than distract from the gameplay, you want your visual design to reflect and enhance it. If a game element does not lead the user toward completing the task, remove it from the game.
We have reached a critical point in the design process: hyper casual game mechanics. A game’s mechanics are fundamental to its appeal, whether building the perfect race car or building a tower of blocks.
Take a minute to consider the following list of gameplay mechanics.
- Playing rising/falling gameplay enables you to move objects vertically in space, usually to avoid obstacles.
- In tap/timing games, players tap the screen as needed to navigate an environment or accomplish a particular objective – think Super Mario Run.
- Delterity gameplay requires users to tap a screen in a specific pattern to pass a level – imagine Tap Tap Revenge Tour.
- Users can unite elements that look alike – and avoid those that don’t – to accomplish a goal by merging gameplay.
- With stacking gameplay, the user stacks objects together to reach a goal – think Tetris.
- Players are tasked with creating larger and larger objects by eating other elements – think Snake.
- In turns gameplay, you swipe or tap to turn left or right at just the right moment.
- Playing with swerves is similar to turning, but the user must keep their finger on the device while doing so.
- A puzzle game requires players to use only a limited number of movements to solve a problem.
Hyper Casual Games Development Checklist
- Choose your game engine
You must choose an engine for your question “how to make hyper-casual games.” There are too many platforms to choose from to build a new one. For most devices, Unity offers versatility, power, and scalability.
- Acquire game assets
Typically, a team developing a mobile game creates original art content. In the case of most hyper casual games, this step is not necessary. Instead, art assets can be purchased and used across multiple games with minor modifications. A few development engines, such as Buildbox, include prebuilt investments, reducing the amount of money you spend on production.
- Prioritize gameplay over the theme
Thematic frameworks are usually used for mechanics in the hyper casual games development company. Hyper casual games do not use these frameworks. Developers instead chose an engaging mechanic, refined it, and designed the game around it.
- Build a prototype
After choosing your game assets and mechanics, create a test and optimize the prototype. Concentrate on short gameplay loops players can complete within 30 seconds to a minute, at which point they can reset their progress or move on to the next challenge.
- Implement ad placements
To generate revenue from your game, you’ll need to implement in-app ads before releasing your app to the public. Publishers cannot specify which ads will display programmatically, but they can select ad placement options. Interstitials deployed between gameplay loops tend to be the most effective placements. Additionally, you may want to incorporate opt-in advertisements that unlock in-game bonuses in exchange for viewing advertisements, like offerwalls.
- Soft launch and testing
Global launches are ideal for developers aiming to drive installs worldwide. Hyper casual games are famous across the globe, so global launches are models. Nevertheless, you should conduct a soft launch with a small audience in low-cost regions before launching the game in mass markets. In addition to improving game systems, soft launches allow advertisers to optimize placements to maximize ad engagement.
- Prepare a cross-promotion strategy
Generally, hyper-casual games don’t last long, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t contribute to the strength of the developer’s portfolio. For example, publishers often promote games from the same studio or a partner by using cross-promotion strategies, such as promoted ads and links to the App Store page. Players will continue to try new bite-sized experiences while driving revenue with this technique. Additionally, it helps increase organic traffic for the developer over time.
- Find a mobile monetization partner
Hyper casual mobile game development is a massive undertaking, regardless of whether you’re creating your first app or an entire portfolio. For this reason, finding partners with experience will ensure your titles get the results they deserve. Through data-driven campaign optimization, Moloco helped mobile publishers acquire users and earn revenue for nearly a decade.
Key Features of Hyper Casual Game
To be considered a Hyper-Casual Game, a game must have several key features.
1. Instant Gameplay
- No levels to choose from, preloading, and plot inserts.
- Even the background of the start screen is gameplay. When the user clicks on the start button, the game begins.
- The gameplay is simple and does not contain many details.
- Provides simple level-1 tutorials to get started
- After the game is launched, players can begin playing within five seconds.
2. Total Attention
- Sleeping is not an option.
- From the start of the game until the level is completed, there are no breaks.
- The game can be lost just by lifting the user’s attention for a moment.
- As in the Helix Jump, the player will have only one goal throughout, which is to guide the ball down the spiral maze while controlling the maze.
- Adding new obstacles or making levels harder would keep the game interesting.
4. Moderate use of components
- Simplicity is the key to the gameplay.
- The game’s various components should all be used moderately.
- During gameplay, the user should not be distracted by audio, graphics, or controls.
5. Simple Monetization Model
- In-app purchases do not drive more revenue from hyper-casual games.
- An advertisement is the primary revenue source for a hyper-casual game. Promotions can be in the form of banners, video ads, rewards, etc.
Top Game Engines to Make a Hyper Casual Game
How to make a hyper casual game? a game engine is required. In addition, you can use it to piece together graphics, physics, audio, and other aspects of your game. An engine suitable for your game will simplify your development and make the final product more enjoyable for players.
The following are five of the best hyper casual game engines:
how to make a hyper casual game in unity? Unity is far and away from the most popular game engine in popularity. Unity hyper casual games have existence since 2005, and its compatibility with Android and iOS is one of the most popular apps out there. Making hyper casual games in unity run smoothly on phones with slow processors since the platform requires very little processing power.
Game engines like Unreal are more commonly used than Unity. Epic Games developed the platform and introduced it in 1998, with a long and successful history. Unreal Engine Developers favor unreal 3D features, but it requires more processing power than Unity.
It may be best to use BuildBox if you do not know how to code. You can easily piece together a hyper-casual game with its visual programming interface. You can select from dozens of assets and animations in BuildBox, supporting 2D and 3D development.
4. GameMaker Studio 2
You can also use GameMaker Studio 2 if you are not comfortable coding. A drag-and-drop visual programming language is integrated into it, and C++ and C#. Despite GameMaker Studio 2’s lack of 3D animation support, the platform offers excellent 2D development tools.
The Lumberyard engine is a free service offered by Amazon. The platform is based on CryEngine, but it features several new features and tools. AWS integration with Lumberyard allows you to build and host your development projects in the cloud.
A broad audience enjoys hyper casual games because they are straightforward and engaging. By utilizing a game engine, hyper casual games can be developed quickly and easily. Choosing a mechanic and a theme is all you need to do to get started. The most important thing is to make the game short and straightforward, so your players keep coming back.
How much does it Cost to Develop a Hyper Casual Mobile Game?
It can cost as much as $20,000 to $25,000 to develop the best hyper-casual games for android (Android or iOS). The cost of developing a Hyper-casual match with all the advanced features and functionality, with support for several platforms, may reach $80,000.
Most Successful Hyper Casual Games
To develop a hyper-casual game, you have a variety of mechanics to choose from. These hyper casual games examples are most commonly played with the following mechanics:
- Idle Mechanic
Monetization Strategy for Hyper Casual Games
They are exploring monetization strategies for hyper casual games. Publishers typically don’t see a high conversion rate for in-app purchases (IAPs) for hyper casual games due to players’ low commitment. Because of this, publishers use less demanding monetization strategies like banners, interstitials, and rewarded ads for driving revenue.
Go through the list to know more:
- Users do not have to divert their attention from playing games to view banner ads, the lowest friction method. These characteristics have a downside: Publishers usually do not generate the same revenue with alternative methods. However, users may have fewer negative feelings when using them.
- Benefits accrue to both parties from rewarded ads. For viewing ads, players are rewarded with in-game rewards. Combining these factors usually results in high earnings for publishers, effective campaigns, and satisfied users.
- Users are most concerned with interstitial ads, which interrupt the game’s flow without offering anything in return. However, this monetization method is not as effective as it appears, so testing is essential.
The best method of monetization is not the same in every situation. You are likely to incorporate a mixture of techniques in your strategy. Based on the characteristics of your game and your users’ expectations, you’ll find the right combination. Don’t get discouraged if a particular approach does not work for you. Developing the ideal recipe will take time.
Why is BR Softech the Best Hyper-Casual Game Development Company?
With BR Softech, you can work with a team of experts who have experience developing diverse and dynamic hyper-casual games to attract a broad audience.
To provide the best quality game experience, we combine the game’s best mechanics with 3D graphics. Our games offer the ultimate Hyper-casual experience for the users with their simple gameplay, achievements, and addictive experiences.
BR Softech Pvt. Ltd. excels in providing cost-effective IT Solutions. Established in August 2010 with over 10+ years of rich experience. An Apex rated IT serving company around the world. Our team of innovative and creative designers deals in web designing, mobile/ software development and other digital marketing services intending to deliver outstanding digital outcomes.