I am Nitin Garg Founder of BR Softech PVT LTD - an Award-winning mobile game development company. We are armed with 180+ geeks & 2753 clients worldwide, I have driven by the spirit of entrepreneurship and dream to build a billion-dollar-company.
In this blog, we will provide an in-depth guide to the best 20 mobile game engines and development platforms. If you are looking for the best game development tools, you can choose one from the list and build feature-rich 2D/3D mobile games.
According to Globe News Wire, the mobile gaming market was valued at $119 billion in the year 2021. It is expected to grow at a CAGR of 12.3% during the forecast period(2022-2030) and is expected to be valued at $338 billion by the year 2030. (source)
It is estimated that around 62% of people download a game within the first week of buying a smartphone. The mobile gaming market has expanded beyond computer and console gaming. This has led to an increased surge in the demand for high-end and interactive mobile games. This is where Mobile game development platforms come in. If you are thinking about how to develop games for mobile devices, the gaming engines listed below top 20 tools will help you create cutting-edge and graphic-intensive games.
Get A Free Mobile Game Demo
We have a team of experts who can help you with app web & software development
20 Best Mobile Game Engines and Development Platforms
There are a wide range of mobile game engines and development platforms available in the market. Let’s take a look at the best engines for mobile games.
Unity is one of the most popular mobile game engines out there. If we take a look at the statistics, Unity is used by almost 47% of mobile game developers as their go-to game development tool. Launched by Unity Technologies, Unity cross-platform mobile game development engine provides plenty of features under one roof.
The game engine also features a rich Unity Asset store where developers can find various presets and animations so they don’t have to create assets from scratch. Being a cross-platform mobile game development platform, Unity saves valuable time that would have been spent on developing individual games on different platforms.
Advantages of Unity
- Robust and Ultra-fast
- Supports over 27 platforms
- App sharing between other platforms
- High-quality Audio and Video
- Rich Asset Store
- Easy-to-Use with in-built Documentation
- Easy Debugging
Games Developed Using Unity
- Pokemon GO
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
- Among Us
- Monument Valley 2
Unity Game Engine Pricing
- Free for Students
- Unity Plus: $40 per month
- Unity Pro: $150 per month
- Unity Enterprise: $200 per month
2. Unreal Engine
Another popular mobile game development engine that offers user-friendly features and an easy-to-use user interface. Similar to Unity, Unreal Engine game development also allows developers to build high-end games without any coding or programming. Moreover, developers also have the ability to modify the game elements without changing the code. One of the most prominent benefits of Unreal Engine is that it allows game testing right in the game engine itself.
Advantages of Unreal Engine
- Open-source Game Engine
- Pre-developed Assets
- Cross-platform Game Engine
- Wide Range of Tools & Functionalities
- Robust Optimization Tools
Games Developed using Unreal Engine
- Injustice 2
- Mortal Kombat
- Blade & Soul Revolution
- Battle of Titans
Unreal Engine Pricing
- Free for beginners
- 5% royalty if gross revenue exceeds $1,000,000
- Enterprise Program for $1000 per year
3. Solar 2D
Formerly known as Corona SDK, Solar 2D is a 2D game engine for mobile apps that uses the Lua scripting language. It is an open-source mobile game development platform and even supports cross-platform game development. Solar 2D has a dedicated Corona marketplace that offers various plug-ins and an active community. One of the most prominent features of Solar 2D is the Solar2D Playground, a website that allows creating and running projects instantly.
Advantages of Solar2D
- Single-code based software
- Features that enhance the interactivity and graphics
- Integrated Support for Ads
- Smooth Gaming Performance with higher FPS
Games Developed Using Solar 2D
- Flappy Bird
- Corona Canon
- The Lost City
- Zip Zap
Solar 2D Pricing
- Free of Cost
- Premium Plug-ins have to be bought
Advantages of Cocos2D
- Open-source Engine
- Cross-platform Development
- Integration of third-party libraries
- Facilitates the development of tiny games
Games Developed Using Cocos2D
- Farm Ville
- Plague Inc.
- Hill Climb Racing
- Pokemon Masters
- Absolutely Free to Use
Godot is an open-source cross-platform mobile game development engine used for 2D and 3D game development. It can easily run on multiple operating systems including Windows, Linux, and macOS.
It utilises a pixel-measurement system which makes it the perfect choice for developing 2D games. Moreover, it is suitable for beginners with its node-based interface. It facilitates the mobile game development process by allowing developers to build any game from scratch.
Advantages of Godot
- Supports Multiple Languages
- Node System Makes it a Robust development tool
- Open-source Game Engine
- Lightweight and has its own IDE
Games Developed Using Godot
- Sonic Colors: Ultimate
- Dome Keeper
- Wrought Flesh
- Open-source and free to use
6. Game Maker Studio 2
Developed by Yoyo Games, GameMaker Studio 2 is a 2D mobile game development engine that features a very useful drag-and-drop programming language called GameMaker Language that can’t be found even in the best mobile game engines. One of the most prominent features of GameMaker Studio 2 is that it was originally built for amateur developers. However, mobile game developers can leverage the power of supported scripting languages to build advanced Mobile games. It is a cost-effective game development platform that is integral in streamlining the game development process.
Advantages of GameMaker Studio 2
- A versatile Game Engine allows the development of all genres and styles of game
- Optimal for Beginners
- Easy to use and doesn’t require coding for development
- Easy Exporting to Multiple Platforms
Games Developed Using GameMaker Studio 2
- Shovel Knight
- Katana Zero
- Hyperlight Drifter
Game Maker Studio 2 Pricing
- Creator: $4.99 per month
- Indie: $9.99 per month
- Enterprise: $79.99 per month
7. Construct 3
Construct 3 is an HTML5 mobile game engine that is suitable for beginners. It is also used to teach the basics of the mobile game development process in classrooms. The popular 2D game engine is often used for developing highly responsive and interactive RPGs, racing, and puzzle games. Developed by Scirra Ltd. the popular game engine uses Java Script as an optional scripting language which is suitable for amateur developers.
Advantages of Construct 3
- Suitable for 2D Game Development
- Requires no Programming Knowledge
- Prototyping Tool
- Cost-effective and Flexible Software
Games Developed Using Construct 3
- Mighty Goose
- The Next Penelope
- Beast Attack
- Lunar Mission
Construct 3 Pricing
- Limited Functionality with Know the top mobile game engines and development platforms that will help you to develop innovative and advanced mobile games.Free Version
- Custom Pricing for Gambling Business
- Individual: $5.19 per month
- Startups: $61.99 per year
- Enterprise: $406.79 per year
BuildBox is one of the best Android game engines out there. It is a suitable game engine for beginners and allows game development without any coding or programming. One of the best benefits of BuildBox is that it facilitates a rapid mobile game development process and allows the development of 2D and 3D mobile games in a short time period. It features a strong active community and also features a drag-and-drop function to create graphic-driven mobile games.
Advantages of BuildBox
- Offers over 20,000 game assets
- Develop 3D games without programming
- Drag and drop functionality
- Easy Ad Implementation
- Pre-built Game Templates are Available
Games Developed Using BuildBox
- Color Switch
- Shape Escape
- Juju on the Beat
- Free for Small Projects
- BuildBox Plus: $189.99 per year
- BuildBox Pro: $499.99 per year
9. Amazon Lumberyard
As the name suggests, Amazon Lumberyard is Amazon’s open-source game development platform. The game engine for mobile features cross-platform mobile game development and can be used to develop games quickly. Moreover, it offers support to various Amazon services including Twitch and AWS. The game engine is suitable for beginners and facilitates the quick creation of prototypes.
Advantages of Amazon Lumberyard
- Extensive Assets Library
- Can Develop AAA games
- Seamless Integration with AWS
- Twitch API
- Open-source platform
- Fast Development and Deployment
- C++ Source Code
Games Developed Using Amazon Lumberyard
- Star Citizen
- New World
- The Grand Tour Game
Amazon Lumberyard Pricing
- Open-source and free to use
SpriteKit is one of the few iOS game engines developed by Apple to develop 2D games. It supports the Swift language as well as Objective-C and with the SpriteKit framework, developers can easily draw texts, images, shapes, and videos in 2D. SpriteKit is considered to be a suitable mobile game engine for beginner developers. It features impeccable support from Apple and ensures that any game you develop will work with any existing or upcoming products from Apple.
Advantages of SpriteKit
- Perfect iOS game engine
- Support from Apple
- No External Libraries
- Built-in game Physics
- Suitable for iOS development
Games Developed Using SpriteKit
- Escape Code
- Squashy Bug
- Tricky Walls
- Rapid Cube
- Absolutely Free to Use
CRYEngine is a game development engine that will soon release mobile support( mobile platform support is still in its Beta phase). However, it is widely renowned as one of the best mobile game engines. If you want to develop games with high graphics and stunning visuals, CRYEngine is the best choice for you. It is a perfect choice for amateurs with features like tutorials, documentation, complete source code, and an active large community.
CRY Engine also offers features like realistic characters, sandbox, high-level visuals, audio controls, and high performance.
Advantages of CryEngine
- High-end visuals allow the development of a great game environment.
- The engine supports Fmod- a great audio control.
- Finest Coding
- Excels in open-world detailing like vegetation.
- Easy to Learn
- Provides support to developers
Games Developed Using Cry Engine
- Far Cry
- Hunt: Showdown
- Crysis 3
Cry Engine Pricing
- Free for Small Projects
- 5% royalty if annual revenue is $5000 or more.
Developed by Appelecerator, Titanium is a top mobile game engine that enables you to develop mobile games in Java Script. With the Titanium game development engines, developers can easily create stunning and immersive mobile game experiences. It is an open-source development framework that can also be used to develop cross-platform games. The game engine comes with an API builder that provides a framework for building APIs with a scalable cloud service for running them.
Advantages of Titanium
- Allows writing code in a few lines and accelerates the development process.
- Has an active community of over 200,000 developers that offer extra support.
- Has an open marketplace for sharing, buying, and selling modules.
Games Developed using Titanium
- Prototype 1 & 2
- Crash Trilogy
Titanium Engine Pricing
- Titanium Indie Version is free (for small projects)
- $199 for Titanium Pro Version
- Custom Price for Titanium Enterprise Version
13. MonoGame Engine
MonoGame is a cross-platform game engine that is primarily used to develop 2D games. It uses C# and .NET languages. If you are proficient in these languages, Mono Game will be very easy for you. This game engine is very similar to Microsoft’s XNA4 framework, which is also easy to learn.
Moreover, the website also offers various tutorials that can assist you in the development process. The game development engine also uses shaders written in different languages. Mono Game has also developed its own language for creating shaders- MGFX.
One of the best benefits of using MonoGame is the active support community and open-source technology. It also supports various popular platforms.
Advantages of Mono Game
- Same structure as Microsoft FX which provides easy text formal editing.
- Highly flexible and customizable game development platform.
- Best for 2D games.
- Easy Cross-platform development.
- Open-source mobile game engine.
Games Developed Using Titanium
- Axiom Verge
Mono Game Pricing
- Free to Use
14. Haxe 4
Haxe is a cross-platform game development engine that is open-source. It has various game frameworks and libraries that help achieve native speed and supports all platforms. It primarily uses C++, PHP, and AS3 programming languages for game development. Since there are various game libraries and frameworks present, you can choose the one most suitable to you and start developing your mobile game.
Advantages of Haxe 4
- Fast compiling which speeds up the game development process.
- Haxe offers quick type-checking.
- Missing language feature to target particular platforms.
Games Developed using Haxe 4
- Dead Cells
- Defender’s Quest
- Dicey Dungeons
Haxe 4 Pricing
- Free to Use
- Professional Plan: $6,500 per year
- Enterprise Plan: $26,000 per year
- Elite Plan: $98,000 per year
Gilderos is an open-source and free mobile game development engine. It can be used for 2D and 3D game development. The game engine is preferred by mobile game developers as it facilitates rapid game development. One of the best benefits of using Gideros is that you can develop and launch your game on multiple platforms without any additional charges. It uses the Lua scripting language and also offers a complete set of game development tools.
Advantages of Gideros
- Open-source mobile game engine.
- Provides instant testing during the development process.
- Extend the core with plugins
- With Gidero’s basic system, developers can write reusable codes for future projects.
Games Developed Using Gideros
- Little Snake
- Winki Aircraft
- Speedy Road
- Swift Soccer
- Completely Open-source and Free-to-use
16. Clickteam Fusion 2.5
Clickteam Fusion 2.5 is a mobile game development engine that utilizes an event editor system to create games. If you want to develop an event-based application, this is the perfect choice for you. It is packed with all the necessary features that are required to facilitate the game development process. Fusion 2.5 was developed by Clickteam, a company that focuses on improving the performance of its games.
Fusion 2.5 doesn’t require any programming knowledge, which makes the development process that much easier. The interface doesn’t require any coding or programming skills. It is considered one of the best mobile game engines for static game development.
Advantages of Clickteam Fusion 2.5
- Online tutorials help in game development.
- All-visual programming engine
- An active strong community that provides additional support.
- Fast for prototyping.
Games Developed Using Clickteam Fusion 2.5
- Five Nights at Freddie’s
- The Sea Will Claim Everything
- The Escapists
- Trap Adventure 2
- Freedom Planet
Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Pricing
- Free Version
- Full Version: $99.99
- Fusion 2.5 Standard+: $131.8
- Developer Upgrade Fusion 2.5: $399.98
- Additional Package: $39.99 to $149.99
17. App Game Kit
App Game Kit is another game development engine that doesn’t require any specific programming skills and is suitable for all developers. It features a user-friendly interface and uses a programming language similar to C++. App Game Kit is also one of the best game development platforms for multigaming platform game development solutions.
One of the best features of this mobile gaming engine is the App Game Kit Studio which offers all the tools necessary to transform your unique idea into a concept and a fully functioning game app.
Advantages of App Game Kit
- Developers can create games without any prior coding knowledge.
- Helps in compiling the game and launching it on a device for testing, thus increasing productivity.
- Multi-platform game development engine.
Games Developed with App Game Kit
- Echoes 3
- Slaughter School
App Game Kit Pricing
- App Game Kit Classic: $49.99
- Unlimited App Game Kit: $95.96
- App Gate Kit Twin Pack: $149.78
- App Game Kit Classic Bumper Pack: $99.99
- Other Add-ons available
18. Defold Engine
Defold is a free-to-use mobile game engine that is used for the development of games for various platforms. It is primarily used for 2D game development, but also offers exciting possibilities for 3D games. The game engine is preferred by developers as it comes with detailed technical documents and is very easy to use.
It uses the Lua scripting language which is versatile and fast. However, developers can also use native code for more functions. It is a cross-platform game engine and is a one-stop shop that provides all the game development tools in one place.
Advantages of Defold Engine
- It is primarily a 2D game engine but can also create simple 3D games too.
- Offers great performance which enables developers to create games rather quickly.
- Spine Support for animations.
- Seamless scene creation
- Free to use
Games Developed with Defold Engine
- Monkey Mar
- Void Scrappers
- Apple Spider
- Plague Lords
Defold Engine Pricing
- Free to use
Advantages of Phaser
- Rendering on Canvas and WebGL.
- Wide Range of Plug-in support.
- User-friendly interface
- Huge Library
- Best HTML5 game development framework.
Games Developed with Phaser
- Gods Will be Watching
- Completely Free HTML5 game engine
- Sells Separate Plugins
Lastly, Stencyl is a game development engine that is used to develop 2D mobile games for mobile devices and the web. It is a freemium tool that doesn’t require any coding to develop games. Stencyl also offers a toolset that provides developers with plenty of options to create cutting-edge 2D games. It features the drag and drop function and also enables developers to code if necessary.
Advantages of Stencyl
- Supports Mobile, Web, Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Publish games on Steam and reach a wider audience.
- No watermarks
- Access to exclusive Customer Only forums
- Third-party plugins
Games Developed with Stencyl
- Gold Space
- Mibibli’s Quest
- Reaching Finality
Mobile Game Development Services with BR Softech
As a leading Mobile game development company, BR Softech strives to deliver highly-interactive and robust gaming apps across multiple platforms such as Android, iOS, and Windows. Our mobile game developers are well-versed in the latest technologies and have years of experience working with top 20 mobile game engines including Unity and Unreal engine. Our developers aim for client satisfaction and strive to transform your mobile game ideas into fully-functioning game apps. Take advantage of the following benefits with BR Softech-
- 24×7 Customer Support
- Experienced Developers
- On-time Delivery
- Cost-effective Solutions
- Cross-platform game development
- Customised Services
If you want to leverage cross-platform game development and develop your own multi-platform game, contact BR Softech
Quick Contact Us :
Skype : bdm.br
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 How do Game Engines Work?
Ans. Game engines work by laying the framework that allows the user to easily develop a game rather than building it from scratch.
Q.2 How Much Do Game Engines Cost?
Ans. The price of every mobile game engine and development platform differs. You can refer to the prices of different game engines in this blog.
Q.3 How many Game Engines are There?
Ans. There are a wide variety of different game engines available on the market. Every game engine offers different features and different specializations. Some popular game engines include Unity, Unreal, Godot, Solar2D etc.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
BR Softech Pvt. Ltd. is a prestigious IT company that specializes in providing cost-effective and tailored tech-enabled solutions for different industries and genres. Established in August 2012, we have over 10+ years of experience in mobile game development. Take your business to the next level with our feature-packed metaverse, casino, mobile game, sports betting and fantasy sports software development services.